Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ Rows skin version 2, free DWB skin with onepage scroller option

Hi folks!
    I recently decided to turn my EZ Rows skin into a "real" swapable skin and prepare it to be a onepage scroller, too.

Features:
    - It gives you a static EZ frontpage with up to 8 fullwidth rows (+ Fat Footer), including 3 custom widget areas
    - It´s prepared for Kirki, a plugin that lets you easily style the backgrounds of your rows (see video for usage)
    - An included textfile gives you the code you need to turn it into a onepage scroller with fixed header

Please unzip the download, read the README and see the video that explains how to install and use it.
    This skin requires Wordpress Settings - Reading to be set to "Display your latest posts" (first option) to be checked to work properly.
    And as always: Please excuse my English.

Here´s the file to download.
    And here´s the video on YouTube
    Demo (default look if widgets are all populated and without Kirki in use): http://sg-demo.com/ez-rows/

Please note:
    - NOT SUPPORTED, as it is free. As always, it´s up to you to customize and extend it.
    - If you use the three custom widget areas and want to try a different skin, be sure to drag their content out to the "keep settings" area BEFORE you activate the other skin, to make sure nothing gets lost.
    Last edited by SiGa; 10-08-2016, 05:21 PM.

Thank you. Wonderful overview/orientation/training video. Well thought out, well presented & ez-to-understand

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear! I admit it turned out longer than I wanted. Maybe I should do it like Eric and talk a bit faster ....

Another excellent resource - thanks very much!

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope it´s of use, Kelly, thanks!

What a great piece of work! Thanks SiGa : )

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      You´re welcome, Shunyata, thanks!

Great job, Siga. I think you did very FINE taking the time and rest in your youtube film. Sets me on the way for developing my own skin.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear - I surely learned a lot from skins others shared, so that´s a way to give back to the community.

Hi Siga,

What page template your demo is using in the video? After installing your skin I have no full width browser view template for the page I'm trying to mimic your instructions with.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no template. The video shows/explains that the EZ static frontpage is used as the "full-width-rows" page and you go to drag widgets into the EZ areas. You can´t use it for other pages. Also please note the first sentence in the description above, under "Features".
      Last edited by SiGa; 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM.

• violacase
      violacase commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I got mixed up... You have to set the static page in DBW like you described. But in the customizer you have to set the static front page to 'latest posts'
      Funny, but it works now.

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      EZ frontpage always requires the following settings to work as expected:
      Wordpress Settings - Reading - "Display latest posts" (first option - that´s what you saw) AND
      Dynamik Design - EZ - Static Homepage
      Docs: http://dynamikdocs.cobaltapps.com/ar...z-widget-areas

It looks like Kirki is no longer working - it doesn't seem to have been updated since wp4.0 - I got it up and running with Siga's video - but the changes don't show on the page, or when you save them. Shame, could have been very useful

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      It´s only about one week ago I worked with Kirki for that video, using WP 4.0 (which is newest at the time being), Genesis and DWB and as you can see, it went fine and changes were saved (on both onboard and online sites). Kirki version didn´t change since then.... And Kirki is not the only possible cause for things not working, I assume...
      Last edited by SiGa; 10-04-2014, 09:33 PM.

• violacase
      violacase commented
      Editing a comment
      I can confirm Kirky is doing it's job.

Hmm well everything else is working with our skin - which is brilliant BTW - but when I use the Kirki front end the changes don't show real time s or when saved so I'm blaming the plugin :-) Maybe a conflict though - I'll start deactivating :-)

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Always a good idea. And if you´re familiar with writing custom CSS, you won´t need it anyway, it´s not mandatory for the skin.

Hi SiGa,

Thanks for this excellent resource. I know that you didnt' intend this post to offer design helps and tips, but I'm taking my chance here anyway

So here it is. EZ Rows Skin V2 is setup on my local server and it's working accordingly to the video mentionned above. What I want to acheive is a fixed header with initial transparent background that will get some dark opacity when scrolling down. The best live result I found is : https://yoogaia.com/

I’m good with the fixed header, thanks to you, but can’t achieve the effect when scrolling down. Would I use only CSS or should I include JS too ???

Any kind of lead would be appreciate

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-past-elements
      Search for "fixed header change transparency on scroll" and you´ll find more like these. As far as I know, you need snippets of JS to define at which point of scrolling the color/transparancy should be changed. There are also jquery snippets/plugins out there which will apply a class to the header when scrolling so you can style it differently.

Great stuff SiGa thanks. I really wanted to play around with some skins as I haven't really touched them yet, and also want to suss out/get my head around full width rows! Thank you.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Have fun while playing with it!

Thank you SiGa. This skin has got me interested in DWP again. I learned a ton from the video and skin.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear, thanks!

SiGa, another great tip I got from you was about the Widget CSS Classes plugin. I used it on this skin, but I needed to add a clearfix class in the functions file to keep the widget area showing in the rows. Like this:

genesis_widget_area( 'below_ez_home', array(
    'before' => '<div id="below-ez-home-full-width"><div class="below-ez-home dynamik-widget-area clearfix">',
    'after' => '</div></div>',

This is probably not much use, but I thought I share it anyhow.

Thanks again for your fantastic contributions here.

Comment

Hi and thanks SiGa for the skin. I know it's a no support skin but I just can't get my head around this.
      If I install the skin the width of the ez-home-container-area is wider than the rest of the page's content.
      I tried so many different ways to work around this without succes.

Then there's Kirki, it only works if I just installed it. The first few minutes I can adjust things and I see the result in the preview.
      After a while it doesn't work anymore, not only preview, also after saving there's no change :S
      I used Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

I deactivated all other plugins but no change. I also moved my database from a BSD to a Linux server.
      Unfortunately still no change. I'd really like to use this skin, but after 4 days trying to get this to work without any result I'm pretty frustrated.

If anybody could help me or give me a hint would be great.
      www.welovesaturdays.nl
      login: 3333

Thx, Ralf

Comment

• kk2
        kk2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi SiGa,

Thank you for your reply. Done that, doesn't change anything though.
        Deactivated all plugins yesterday, only used Kirki, but doesn't work.

A full setting reset and restoring the skin and deactivation of all plugins didn't work either
        I encountered problems with DWB more often, not only this skin, also the very basic Dynamic skin.
        Takes hours to figure out things that shouldn't be so time consuming for a near wysiwyg theme. I know I'm just a noob. But getting close to quit DWB as it just
        takes too much time to get things done, maybe not if you can write code, but than again why use DWB if you can do code

Thanks for your time though.
        Last edited by kk2; 11-14-2014, 03:13 PM.

• SiGa
        SiGa commented
        Editing a comment
        If Kirki doesn´t work for you (can´t guess why, sorry), you should skip it and do it like shown in the video. If default Dynamik doesn´t work for you, you should turn to support staff with details and samples maybe. Maybe it´s something specific to your installation or server - however, that could be investigated only from your backend...

• kk2
        kk2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx SiGa. I'm not going to spend more time with DWB. moved on to Theme X by Themeco. DWB is too much of a hassle and I don't want to use so many plugins to get the result I want. DWB doesn't cut the edge for me. It might have been great when I first bought it as Catalyst. Now it's kinda old fashioned and doesn't meet up to the new standarts. Better to spend some money on something new and save valuable time. Thanks anyway.

Hey SiGa,

I know you are doing it by adding php code to the functions file for the skin, but is there an easier way to add the extra widget areas for the home page?

I know I can add the widget area "before footer" but I'm really struggling to understand how to add the inner div that you are adding to the widget area?

EDIT: I finally worked out the easiest way using Beaver Builder.
      Last edited by zelky; 11-28-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X