Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the skins?

(No, not the Washington Redskins!!!)

Is there a central repository of DWB skins somewhere? Or maybe a list of sites (vendors) that have skins for free or purchase? Are there any for sale in one of the Envato stores? Where do I buy or get these? I'm in the market to get/buy a bunch of these. I'm actually looking for some very simple one-page (landing)or maybe 2 page sites (home page and contact form). Yes, I could create them with DWB, but if someone has already done some of these and they are for sale for a modest price or for free, that's the way I want to go.

And a related question. Assuming we get a dozen skins we want to show off (ie. demo) . What is the best way to do that? WP Multisite? Or maybe there is a plugin for this? (I don't want to do 12 installs of WP, but we can if necessary as we have our own server or we'd do them on Bitnami.

Thanks for the help.

Dynamik Skin Repository: http://cobaltapps.club/forum/dy...kin-repository

Regards,
    Robert Gabriel

Last edited by robert; 10-30-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

http://cobaltapps.club/forum/ma...s-in-multisite
      http://cobaltapps.club/forum/ma...-investigation

Comment

@Robert - Yes, I had seen this section of the forum, but since there are only a few posts in it I figured that there must be someplace else where there are a lot of skins available? I thought there would be a vibrant market for skins, but I guess I was wrong. I'm surprised that Cobalt does not put up a web page with links to free or premium skins.

Comment

@SIGa: I was aware of the free skins. I thought there might be a wider selection out there.

@Robert. You do nice work. What are your terms of sale? Do we have to buy a skin for every site we do, or is it a buy once, use many? How do you do the demo? Is this WP multisite or do you have some better magic?

@Everyone: Are there any other repositories of skins or vendors I should check before we make some buying decisions?

Comment

@dev77:
          One job one purchase (but please take into consideration, do you really want the same design for many websites?)
          No magic just separate WP installations.

Regards,
          Robert Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
            @dev77:
            do you really want the same design for many websites?)
            For different clients we would change colors and perhaps make some box-size modifications... perhaps even add a box or take one out... for different clients. I'm looking for some SIMPLE 'landing' pages... one screen sites... similar to this (which I did in Zurb's Foundation.)

Code:
            No magic just separate WP installations.
            Why not use WP Multisite? Or does Dynamik have issues with it? I added it to a test MultiSite install and it seems to work OK. Even though we have our own dedicated server with plenty of space and CPU capacity, I would not want to install WP X times for X different skin options (i.e. Dynamik child-child themes)

We don't like to buy themes for each use. We usually deal with theme developers who have the so-called 'club' option... we pay a few hundred bucks up front and get all of the inventory forever. Makes life a bit easier for a busy shop. We ONLY use Genesis child themes so there are not that many 'clubs' out there. On occasion we'll buy from a non-club vendor.

One of the reasons we are looking at DWB is so we can easily design our "own" themes (i.e. skins) and pop them for our prospects to choose. We're looking to develop a very cost-effective one or two page site for a few market segments that has little money to spend on sites but who need one. We're also thinking that we'd just do these in Foundation or Bootstrap. Those will be impossible for user to maintain (view source code of above link... won't be hard for us to maintain ... I doubt average user can,) but I wonder how important that is for the markets we're looking at. And using Bootstrap, since it has such a small footprint and takes almost zero time to install, we can have a couple of dozen installs of it.

I can't believe you're the only guy with skins to sell.

Thanks.

Dev
            http://www.NewMediaWebsiteDesign.com

Comment

• SiGa
              SiGa commented
              Editing a comment
              "Why not use WP Multisite? Or does Dynamik have issues with it?" Did you notice the links I posted for that subject... Wouldn´t hurt to know that before you try.

Originally posted by dev77 View Post
            For different clients we would change colors and perhaps make some box-size modifications... perhaps even add a box or take one out... for different clients.
            Dev,
            If you change colors, menus, boxes ...and so on it will be your own design. So there is no need to purchase anything.

Regards,
            Robert Gabriel

Comment

@SIGa I saw the links but I didn't understand the issue. I have DWB on Multisite with a number of Studio Press themes. Are you telling me that I could not have a second 'instance' of DWB on Multisite? Or maybe you are saying I could not have instances where each uses a different skin? I noticed on one site that I built locally and created a skin which I then imported into the production site on the server created an entry in the Appearance, Theme page. Why did it do that if a skin is just a bunch of pre-sets?

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                Dev,
                If you change colors, menus, boxes ...and so on it will be your own design. So there is no need to purchase anything.
                I own a book publishing company (http://www.adams-blake.com) and while we have not published books for several years (we may re-start with some e-books next year) I know about copyright laws and such. This gets into a murky area of 'derivative works' . If I bought one of your themes and changed a font or maybe just a color of some text, is that 'derivative' or is it 'new' work? Personally I think it would be theft of your work and as such we would never do it. (Because if we got caught our reputation would be shot!!) If your TOS is "one site, one purchase" we'd honor it even if me made minimal changes. This is why we join 'clubs' (like Studio Press) so we don't have to worry about your lawyer coming after us for copyright infringement, etc. Most publishers know (or learn quickly!) that it is easier and cheaper to pay now... than steal a work and pay (court judgements, defense lawyers, etc.) later!

Comment

Working...
                X