Update to WordPress 4.6 NOW!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to WordPress 4.6 NOW!

If you´re one of those who don´t immediately upgrade WP but rather wait a while until 4.6.1 is out - don´t do it this time but upgrade NOW. A vulnerability was found in 4.5.3 and the word is out in public (which means hackers will start to look out for the leak now).
    https://wpvulndb.com/vulnerabilities/8606

Don´t forget you should update Genesis FIRST if you haven´t yet.
    Genesis contributors Nick Cernis and Gary Jones helped identify and fix a bug in Genesis 2.3 that caused the dreaded white screen (fatal error) when testing with the WordPress 4.6 beta. It’s a very small change, so you can upgrade with confidence.
    https://www.studiopress.com/genesis-2-3-1/

If anyone should accidentally update to WordPress 4.6 BEFORE updating Genesis ... you might need this link below - ( that would be me for one )

https://salferrarello.com/catchable-...hive_settings/

I simply added the code provided on that link to my 'Custom-Functions' via FTP ... then i could access the admin ...update genesis .... then delete the code that was added. I Re-saved custom functions in Dynamik after as precaution.

Cheers Siga
    Last edited by andytc; 08-22-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      As an alternative: Somebody on FB stated that deleting Genesis theme folder per FTP made his installation accessible again (reverted back to a default theme) and then he just made a new installation of Genesis from dashboard.

• Sogwap
      Sogwap commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem with deleting Genesis which would revert to default theme is two fold.

1. I often delete all themes other than Genesis and Dynamik. Deleting Genesis would leave no active themes.
      2. Reverting to a non-genesis theme often loses your widget placement, putting the Widgets in Inactive Widgets area.

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      True. I do leave at least one default theme in place, just in case.... I just thought dragging back widgets could be less frightening to some than handling PHP, hence I added it. But I do agree it depends on the number of widgets also.

Thanks for the heads-up, SiGi

On a related matter, I am now in the middle of doing a manual update to 4.6 for the second time! Same thing as the first time on another site: gets almost all the way through then throws the fatal error that a file is missing. Turned out to be numerous files missing. Had to sFTP a fresh wp-admin and wp-includes to get it sorted. Not sure what is going on there as numerous other sites updated to 4.6 without a problem. And yes, I DID backup before! LOL

Comment

• Sniffle Valve
      Sniffle Valve commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!!! At LEAST two or three! I was only on my first cup of the day, that's why!

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      ... and that one was too weak I see. Back to topic: WP memory size too low, maybe? Or some kind of timeout issue? A look at log files might help...

• Sniffle Valve
      Sniffle Valve commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I needed stronger coffee! I think I know what was the issue with those two sites: WP Rocket was still active! Oops, I forgot to deactivate before doing the update. Logs looked fine and they were on the same hosting as others that went fine. The WP Rocket cache plugin was an item common with both.
Working...
X