Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst and WP 4.7?

Hi

I'm still running Catalyst on a handful of sites and I'm wondering if WordPress 4.7 is likely to cause problems? Elsewhere on cobaltapps.com the advice is not to convert Catalyst to Genesis unless absolutely necessary and that Catalyst, although no longer for sale, will be supported for 'years to come'. I just want to check before going in and possibly breaking these sites.

Originally posted by Jaiji View Post
    Elsewhere on cobaltapps.com the advice is not to convert Catalyst to Genesis unless absolutely necessary...
    and that Catalyst, although no longer for sale, will be supported for 'years to come'.
    Both of these states are not acurate.
    I have several site, Some I've upgraded others have not.

As far as support I am not aware of any problems due to WP core updates.

As far as upgrading to Genesis there is no inherent reason to convert your site to Genesis. Although may want to convert to Genesis is a site refresh or if you want new features. Or in some cases it may make site updates it may be easier to working within the Dynamik/Gen version as it is newer, and a bit more refined.

Comment

No problems here updating old Catalyst sites to 4.7 ... all good

EDIT- Spoke too soon ... a hook box set to 'Hooked' stopped working , had to change it to to 'Shortcode' and add that to the page in question , not ideal , but its working again. DUH !
      Last edited by andytc; 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM. Reason: Spoke to soon

Comment

Hi Guys,

We encountered this issue on several of our sites still running Catalyst. The issue was caused by a change in 4.7 to how hooks work:
        https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016...s-and-filters/

Catalyst access the $wp_filter variable for its hook functionality, so all sorts of things can break (we've seen missing post dates, missing featured images, and missing content).

The fix appears to be updating line 108 of lib/functions/catalyst-widget-areas.php to:
        PHP Code:
        $catalyst_widget_priority[$this_catalyst_widget] = $wp_filter[$this_catalyst_widget]->callbacks
        and line 42 of lib/functions/catalyst-hook-boxes.php to:
        PHP Code:
        $catalyst_hook_priority[$this_catalyst_hook] = $wp_filter[$this_catalyst_hook]->callbacks
        It's the addition of ->callbacks that fixes is.

Be careful and make backups, since I haven't thoroughly tested this yet, but it fixes all the visible issues I've noticed on our sites.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by SiGa; 09-17-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magicdust View Post
          Hi Guys,

We encountered this issue on several of our sites still running Catalyst. The issue was caused by a change in 4.7 to how hooks work:
          https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016...s-and-filters/

Catalyst access the $wp_filter variable for its hook functionality, so all sorts of things can break (we've seen missing post dates, missing featured images, and missing content).

The fix appears to be updating line 108 of lib/functions/catalyst-widget-areas.php to:
          $catalyst_widget_priority[$this_catalyst_widget] = $wp_filter[$this_catalyst_widget]->callbacks

and line 42 of lib/functions/catalyst-hook-boxes.php to:
          $catalyst_hook_priority[$this_catalyst_hook] = $wp_filter[$this_catalyst_hook]->callbacks;

It's the addition of ->callbacks that fixes is.

Be careful and make backups, since I haven't thoroughly tested this yet, but it fixes all the visible issues I've noticed on our sites.

Hope that helps.
          Thanks for this!

It worked for me, but your code above for line 108 of lib/functions/catalyst-widget-areas.php omitted the semicolon at the end:

Should be:
          Code:
          $catalyst_widget_priority[$this_catalyst_widget] = $wp_filter[$this_catalyst_widget]->callbacks;
          I got an error until I added that.

Comment

• SiGa
            SiGa commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, I think that magicdust probably missed that semicolon while copy/pasting. I´ve edited that code and wrapped it in PHP tags also. Thanks for the hint!
        Working...
        X