Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamik, Beaver Builder plugin, Beaver Builder theme, BB Extender.... ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamik, Beaver Builder plugin, Beaver Builder theme, BB Extender.... ??

Hi guys, I think the Beaver Builder revolution has passed me by a bit and I want to get in. I'm understanding that the Builder itself is a plugin, with which you can use the Dynamik theme, but I also see Eric's released an extender to the BB theme, so you end up not using Dynamik at all.

What are the pros and cons of the different approaches, and how do I decide which way to work going forward?

Apart from the odd "it's five pages and will look good with an Avada template" site, most of the work I've got coming up I would've previously tackled with Dynamik and I was intending to learn how to build post/page templates with it to reduce the amount of HTML/CSS I put manually into the Wordpress page editor. If Beaver Builder + a Cobalt theme or plugin is worth taking the time to learn now, then I'll do it. I just need to know what Dynamik users think is the best way to add BB into their approach.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hard to answer - we´re not in your shoes, we don´t know your workflow, we don´t know your budget nor do we know your clients and their needs. Deciding if a tool fits your toolbox is a very individual thing and in the end, you´ll have to try it anyway to decide if "it´s worth it".

For the moment, I still do the major part of sites with Genesis/Dynamik, as I don´t see a reason to move away from it. I also got GeneratePress and the BB plugin Standard license (without the theme). Those cover all of my theme/template/layout needs so far. There are myriads of addons you can add to the BB plugin also.
    BB theme is a good theme, no question, and there are many other good themes out there, too. I don´t plan to have them all, so in the end, it´s a decision and also a question of "how many subscriptions with yearly returning costs do I need / want to have". Lucky me, I picked up GP when it was a one-time-pay back then.

What´s always worth it is extending abilities regarding coding. Because you can make the best of any theme then.

Comment

Thanks SiGa.

The main things I'm wondering about are:

- My best looking sites often have tonnes of HTML in them (essentially using Dynamik as a grownup CSS editor - especially with all the breakpoints set and ready to use). But these sites are hard for clients to make their own edits to, and I worry that others in my city build everything with custom fields and custom templates so that all the client has to do is fill in the boxes. For me, that's never been worth my time to learn - I'm less expensive than those £20k-a-site types of agencies and if you want it to look great and be priced well, then this is a corner I can cut. But if Beaver Builder really is as client-friendly as it claims, this might enhance my offering significantly.

- Some of the "cheat" websites (SquareSpace, Wordpress with Avada, X or Flatsome) look really good and tasteful with parallax layers and subtle animations that I don't really do much with, and DWB doesn't give me easy access to them. I don't want bloaty code, reams of shortcodes and things that don't look quite right and can't be edited, but if BB gave me some slightly more visually impressive features without sacrificing 'proper code', that'd be worth a look.

- I have enough work on to keep me busy for the next six months. Anything that can streamline my process, or make it easier for me to employ someone to work in the same way I do, would be of interest.

- DWB has been around a long time and never let me down.

Does that help at all?

Comment

Well yes, my situation is not too different.

- My best looking sites often have tonnes of HTML in them (essentially using Dynamik as a grownup CSS editor - especially with all the breakpoints set and ready to use). But these sites are hard for clients to make their own edits to, and I worry that others in my city build everything with custom fields and custom templates so that all the client has to do is fill in the boxes. For me, that's never been worth my time to learn - I'm less expensive than those £20k-a-site types of agencies and if you want it to look great and be priced well, then this is a corner I can cut. But if Beaver Builder really is as client-friendly as it claims, this might enhance my offering significantly.
        You will trade HTML you had in the editor (which is NOT client friendly) with lots and lots of HTML in the source. Every pagebuilder does that. Easier for customers to handle though but you need to learn it all so you can teach them. At least that´s what I do.

- Some of the "cheat" websites (SquareSpace, Wordpress with Avada, X or Flatsome) look really good and tasteful with parallax layers and subtle animations that I don't really do much with, and DWB doesn't give me easy access to them. I don't want bloaty code, reams of shortcodes and things that don't look quite right and can't be edited, but if BB gave me some slightly more visually impressive features without sacrificing 'proper code', that'd be worth a look.
        Advantage of BB is that it leaves all the content in place when you deactivate it (while some other pagebuilders leave a mess of shortcodes). That´s naked, unstyled content then, but still content. And it does a good job in caching the content you build with it and leaving scripts out as long as you don´t use the related modules.

Be aware that ANY site you build with "shiny, moving objects" like parallax and similar will be bloated at some point, no matter if you are using proper code to implement them. If you use any fancy feature BB and addons come with, you could maybe as well use those premium themes you mentioned above. And if you give your clients a pagebuilder, things might get out of your hand at some point.
        Seriously, it´s your job to inform them that there´s a price the fancy things come with. Parallax, in my eyes, is an incredible waste of time and bandwidth and looks shitty in some browsers. Your clients won´t even recognize if they use only one browser. Not mentioning that shiny moving objects might not do well for a decent business site.

Your question should be: For what my client needs and wants, do I need to implement a pagebuilder or would a bit of JS and some custom fields be sufficient and cleaner? Learning ACF basics is ALWAYS worth it.
        BB can surely streamline your process. At some point, it doesn´t really make sense to build it all yourself and re-invent the wheel. But there´s an area below that point you shouldn´t loose sight of. That´s why I said it makes always sense to learn coding.

Comment

Look at this one I built lately, frontpage (and one subpage) is BB: https://reichart.li/

He came to me with the shiny-object syndrom. I was able to talk him out of parallax, iframes and orange speech bubbles at least. But with a pagebuilder in place, you never know what they do with it later.

Comment

These are really helpful points - thank you. (I like that site, especially the homepage and price tables.)

I'll definitely make a plan to learn how to use the ACF plugin. Did you learn by doing, or is there a good place I can start reading?

I don't know any JS at all .......... literally none ....... where do I start?

To be honest, for most of my clients, their "fancy things" itch can be scratched by adding some of those layers you have on that homepage and the sort of momentum scrolling I've used on internal anchor links here (click 'Our Villas'):

http://bhresort.com/accommodation/

Comment

Nice site!

Learning by doing mostly, having onboard playgrounds I try things on and just searching and reading articles and collecting snippets while I do. I´m no master either but always willing to try and learn new things.
              Joining the Facebook groups of Genesis, Dynamik, Beaver and ACF is also helpful. There are quite some helpful guys who are posting tutorials every now and then in those groups.
              Sniffle Valve for example: http://snifflevalve.com/

Udemy has many extensive courses for a very fair price and I also see people recommending Lynda, Treehouse and https://knowthecode.io/
              And my collection here might also be of use for you: http://cobaltapps.club/forum/main-ca...-and-tutorials

Comment

What about Beaver Themer ? Any experience with it SiGa , do you think this looks promising? I got sucked into watching a few videos on it , looks powerful. Need both page builder and themer for it to work , so price is ramping up .. but

https://www.wpbeaverbuilder.com/beaver-themer/

Comment

Originally posted by andytc View Post
                  What about Beaver Themer ? Any experience with it SiGa , do you think this looks promising? I got sucked into watching a few videos on it , looks powerful. Need both page builder and themer for it to work , so price is ramping up .. but

https://www.wpbeaverbuilder.com/beaver-themer/
                  Sure looks promising, hear lots of praises and I saw the videos, too. But for me, the price is too hefty and I don't have enough actual use cases as for now so I didn't buy it.

You should maybe talk to Lyle, he's a big fan and could tell you more than I can.

Comment

Over the years I've built hundreds of sites with Dynamik/Catalyst, Dynamik/Genesis, and now Beaver Builder theme/plugin.
                    One is not better than the other. The largest sites I have built are all done with Genesis. Simply because Genesis allows me to build more complex sites.

I have also built numerous sites with BB. The advantage here is that my team can all add content and pages. And its more user friendly for non-tech. Our clients are able to edit pages.

Almost all sites have BB plugin as I find it easier to build layouts than custom coding all the divs,

Comment

Very interesting discussion,

I have a few projects in front of me and I'm trying to decide what combination will work best for all these new projects. I've worked a lot with Genesis/Dynamik Website Builder (Perpetual License) and some with BB (basic) without BB theme but my question is if should I :
                      1.- Drop Gennesys/Dynamik Website Builder for BB Theme and BB Dynamik Extender?
                      2.- Keep Gennesys/Dynamik Website Builder with the BB Basic?

Keep in mind I want also to have a speedy website with less code loaded and all the features of easy building that BB provides.

Comment

Personally.... If you you are comfortable with Dynamik I would say there's no reason to change.
                        I still consider Dynamik/Genesis theme more mature than BB Theme.

If you are building a site for someone else to take over then BB theme, may be a better choice.
                        But seriously why are you building sites for someone else to take over?

Comment

Working...
                        X