Open group for code snippets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open group for code snippets?

It´s a while now I try to find out what could be the best way to store and organize my growing mess of code snippets. Onboard? Online? Software? App?....
    Just knew it would have to searchable, tagable, embeddable and sharable.
    Saw some other designers using Gist and got an account, too, but organizing things there seems too complicated.

Lately I stumbled over Gistbox (and the related Gistbox Clipper for Chrome) and gave it a try, and it seems quite what I was searching for. Article
    But I´d like to get some suggestions if possible:
    1. What do you use to organize your code snippets (if you already do)?
    2. Would you be interested to join a (Gistbox?) group, sharing snippets related to Genesis and DWB/Extender maybe? (If we all throw in our treasures, all might benefit...)

OK, looks like there´s interest. The group is created and I´ve started the collection which will be growing hopefully - if you´d like to join the Gistbox group, just send me a PM with your emailaddress and I´ll send you the invitation.
    Last edited by SiGa; 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM.

I haven't organized code snippets but if there is an open group for that I would love to join. I'm a novice so mostly I copy and paste code snippets from other's blog (Sridhar's, Carrie Dils etc) and bookmark the relevant pages.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I surely did the same but this seems to drive me into a mess sooner or later and I´d love to have it all in one place, if possible...
      You´re welcome! I´ll throw in some more stuff into my Gistbox account, then I´ll create the group (coming week most likely) and invite anybody who likes to join. To do this, I´ll need your email address - you can send it to me per PM so it isn´t public here in forum.

Hi Siga,
    Great idea! I would like to join.
    I am sending you my email.

Regards,
    Robert Gabriel

Last edited by robert; 10-30-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, Robert! Got it. You´ll get your invitation as soon as possible!

SiGa:
    I would like to join, also. So helpful!

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, Kellylise, just send a PM with your emailaddress!

Would it be better than my unorganized text file named tricks.rtf?

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don´t put it all in one Gist again - yes. LOL

I received an email today that GistBox is moving to the new name 'Cacher' & a subscription model.

As of Dec. 1. GistBox is toast/inaccessible.

What's we all gonna do? My first thought was to ask here!
    Last edited by Anakyst; 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM. Reason: 1st Post was Beta with no annual fee...

Comment

• SiGa
      SiGa commented
      Editing a comment
      I see you didn´t get the mail I sent to the group.
      I´m currently testing Gisto but it isn´t as good as GistBox in my eyes. Not sure I will find something free to replace it. The free version of Cacher doesn´t have as much features.
      Anyway, be sure to copy the snippets from our group over to your personal Gist account (easy to do from GistBox) as long there´s still time (aka: soon) so you don´t loose access to them.

Indeed SiGa I did not receive the group email. Shocking! My sincerest apologies!

That said, under the "one ring to rule them all" paradigm, snipple 'n paste was what occured to me too. Tx.

Comment

When viewing each snippet, there is a "Copy" button top right. Choose "Personal Library" and then "Copy". That way, you can make sure it is stored as a gist on GitHub at least and you can still access all of them online (without the sorting features though).

And I would suggest to use the "Migrate My Data" option they offer anyway and store the file you can download, in case you´d decide to use Cacher at some point. I will test their free plan when I finally find out how to access that, as right now, their "Pricing" page is just confusing (to me, at least).

gistbox.JPG
      Last edited by SiGa; 11-15-2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Tx for the Pic. I just can't wait to decloud!

Comment

• SiGa
          SiGa commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got their info that after signing in to the trial, the plan will automatically be the "Free" one after 14 days. I´ll do that and migrate my data just so I can see how Cacher works and if the Free plan is still useful to me.
      Working...
      X