Google fonts viewing differently on my PC compared with others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google fonts viewing differently on my PC compared with others

We have used a Google Font (Indie Flower) for the Title, strap line and navbar on a website www.nancystevens.co.uk. On my two colleagues' PCs the title is on one line, the strap line is on one line and the nav bar (at the top before the header) is on one line. On my PC these are all wrapping onto two lines (see attached) and the browser makes no difference - it is the same on IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. All are set without any zoom and standard text size. Has anyone got any ideas why this should be?

It looks like you just need to increase the Header Title Area Width.

Dynamik Design > Header > header Dimensions > Header Title Area Width

Comment

The Header Title Area Width is 650px. Increasing this to as much as 800px has no effect on the look of the title, strap line or nav bar. It views correctly on my iPad and on my colleagues' PCs. It is as if my computer is increasing the size of that particular Google font so that it no longer fits into the space on the header and nav bar.

Comment

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? It is driving me crazy!

Comment

What is your PC screen resolution? This looks even worse on phones http://www.responsinator.com/ You should pay attention to media queries.

Comment

1680 x 1020. I fully accept what you are saying, ank_zap, but If fonts not viewing correctly on PC I am working on, looking at the different media views on http://www.responsinator.com/ is a waste of time - the iPad view looks completely different on my screen to how it actually looks on my iPad.

Comment

My experience is to Not use custom fonts for Logo/Title, or Tagline as they a rarely responsive.
              That plus custom fonts rarely display the same on all browsers/devises.

Comment

That's interesting Sogwap - thank you. I am thinking we will create an image for the header and use that rather than text. A useful discussion - thank you everyone who has contributed!

Comment

Have just made a discovery. My colleague has just installed the font on his PC in order to create a header banner and having the font installed on his PC appears to have thrown out the font now when he views the website on a browser. We have both tried to delete the font from our PCs to check this out, but in both cases it says it can't delete as it is in use - 'though neither of us have any programs open that are likely to be using it.

Comment

I did finally manage to delete the font from my PC and sure enough, that was causing the issue. Will therefore heed Sogwap's advice in the future to avoid using Google fonts for titles and descriptions.

Comment

Working...
                    X