Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to generate a static EZ home page lay-out that is not listed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to generate a static EZ home page lay-out that is not listed?

Newbie alert!

Hi all,
    I want to make a very simple static EZ homepage with this lay-out:

1) Slider (inner div)
    2) 2 columns: wide left and right widget (2/3 left and 1/3 right)
    3) 3 footer widgets
    4) Home page sidebar

I can generate everything except for #2.

Choices in the EZ Home menulist are:
    wide left 2 -3
    wide left 2 - 3 - 3

I just need:
    wide left 2

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Milan.

Here´s the easiest way to achieve this:
    - Choose a full width (1) column where you want to have them (under the slider in this case)
    - Install this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-css-classes/
    - Go to Appearance - Widgets and drag two widgets of your choice into the full-width widget area
    - For the first of them, you write two-thirds first into the CSS classes field the widget has now. Save.
    - For the second, you write one-third. Save.

Voila!
    Last edited by SiGa; 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Dear SiGa,

Thank you so much for this (indeed) simple solution!
      It works like a charm.

If Eric reads this... might be nice to have a few more options for EZ home pages.
      Best regards, Milan.
      Last edited by NOW-design; 12-13-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• SiGa
        SiGa commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad I was able to help.

Thanks very much for these tips. I also used the widget CSS classes plugin to get the layout described, but I made a custom widget area instead of an EZ widget area. My only question now is: how do I apply CSS styles to these widget areas? When I enable element selectors in the CSS builder I just get this:

Code:
      .genesis-extender-widget-area {

}
      This seems not specific enough. How to I specifically target each new widget area?

I'm sure that I'm missing something simple, so will keep trying, but any tips would be appreciated

Comment

You could also follow this tutorial/screencast by Eric if you need control over row backgrounds and modify to suit your needs:

http://dynamiksupport.cobaltapps.com...id-backgrounds

Comment

I don´t own Extender but if it´s the same like in Dynamik, there is a CSS field you can use when creating a custom widget, see pic.
          You can use the Genesis column classes there, too - or your own.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help - I'll try those tips out. Much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks! Those tips really helped and I figured things out by watching the screencast. But now I have another question:

I set up two custom widget areas, one with three widgets in a row, and one with two in a row. They are both hooked into "genesis-after-header", but the one that I need to be on top is underneath the first one. Hopefully the attached screenshot will help to clarify (I'm on my local desktop server).

I have populated the widgets with calendars and made the widget rows different colors just to try and show things more clearly. How can I move the custom pink widget area that I have created and have it appear between the header and the custom grey widget area?

Many thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

It's OK - I worked it out. I just had to change the priority number of the hook box that I wanted to appear first from 10 to 9.

More details are here for anyone who is interested:

http://extendersupport.cobaltapps.co...tom-hook-boxes

Thanks again - this exercise has been very valuable
                The Custom Hook Box option makes it not only super easy to create an unlimited number of Custom Hook Boxes, but then dic...

Comment

Sorry to bump an older thread, but many of the links in this thread do not work (for example http://dynamiksupport.cobaltapps.com...id-backgrounds)..... thanks!

Comment

• SiGa
                    SiGa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The docs have been ported meanwhile - just hover over the link, read the title, go to Dynamik Docs and enter a similar title and you will find it.
                Working...
                X