Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody on PHP 7 already? Experiences so far?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody on PHP 7 already? Experiences so far?

The title is basically saying it all. Is there somebody who already switched Dynamik sites and could tell about the experience with theme(s) - Genesis and DWB - and some popular plugins? Any problems you came across? They say it´s so much faster...

Hi SiGa,

Check out my post here: http://cobaltapps.club/forum/ma...e-with-php-7-0

I could not get DWB to activate, although it showed 'Successfully Installed'.

Comment

Doh, that´s bad news.
      Thanks for the heads up though, appreciated!

I wonder how it would act when already activated on an existing install - deactivate? And if a childtheme made with Dynamik would run into problems.... Sigh. Things to find out as soon as I manage to find some spare time...

Comment

I realize that PHP 7.0 is quite 'new' yet, but from what I gather, it's 'coming soon'

Here is another interesting observation:

The Genesis Framework itself has no problems with 7.0, but none of the several child themes for it that I tried would properly display the 'Home Page', when set up as so as usual.

I know you will 'chuckle', but the BB Theme/Child theme has no problems with 7.0; the Home Page displays as expected, and that is NOT using the BB plugin, just the regular WP Editor.

It's still 'early' yet, and I am confident that those entrusted will get it 'sorted' by the time PHP 7.0 hits the mainstream (i.e. your host update to it without telling you first! LOL )

Comment

• SiGa
          SiGa commented
          Editing a comment
          "your host update to it without telling you first! LOL" - that would clearly be the moment to leave. Mine doesn´t (it offers PHP7 to switch when you´re ready) but I fear my customers hostings - one or the other - could give me a nice surprise potentially.... *gulp*

Has WordPress.org blessed PHP 7.0? I did a search:

https://wordpress.org/search/php+7.0

but have not found an official missive from WP saying that they endorse the new platform.

Once they do, we'll start testing.

[editorial] One nice thing about doing (mostly static) sites in Bootstrap with only a contact-form PHP back-end in maybe only a 100 lines of simple code... is that we don't have to worry much about PHP versioning. We just hate the fact that the PHP people are always removing backward compatibility causing sites to crash.[/editorial]

Comment

On online server with php 7.0 it works fine, I installed v. 1.9.1 and updated to 1.9.2 and could activate dwb as well as the license.

Comment

I haven't worked upon PHP 7.0 but will go on floor with my next project.

Comment

I have been running PHP7 RC since late September without any kind of problems: Genesis, beaverbuilder, dynamik. I moved most of my clients sites tp PHP7.
            You see it's not WordPress or Genesis causing problems. It's the plugins that could cause you problems, even the ones for Genesis (that were not updated for a long time).
            As long your plugins are updated, and don't have too many of them, you will be fine.

See blog post attached in the link
            If you have followed all the buzz about HHVM, you know that HHVM started a revolution. It can speed up PHP execution dramatically. You can expect more than 2x the speed compared to PHP 5.6 for WordPress. PHP is not the only factor in website speed. You can use a $10 VPS and experience  a website that …

Comment

• SiGa
              SiGa commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I assumed it would most likely be the plugins being a potential problem. Usually I don´t have all too many plugins and the majority is well-known and well supported. Anyway - thanks for the heads up, every bit of info is much appreciated!

Hi SiGa,
            now you can test it locally. Apachefriends.org (Bitnami) has released Xampp with PHP 7.0.1.-0 on 31. December:

https://www.apachefriends.org/blog/n..._20151231.html

Comment

• SiGa
              SiGa commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info, La Geek!

Hi Siga, you are welcome.
            Did you make some tests in the meantime? For me, DWB does not work in local environment, with xampp 7.0.1. It includes PHP 7.0.1. I can not activate DWB. The installation runs perfect until the step to activate DWB. Then the website breaks. No access to front- oder backend anymore. If I move a website installed from Xampp 5.6.15 (PHP 5.6.15) to Xampp 7.0.1 I have access to the frontend without any visible errors. But I can't login, the website breaks again. I will write a ticket to Eric.

Supplement:

PHP 7.0.1
            Genesis 2.2.6
            DWB 1.9.4
            WordPress 4.4.1

A complete fresh and new installation of WordPress. No plugins or other themes are installed. Only Genesis.
            Last edited by La Geek; 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

No, I didn´t get around yet, I confess I had too many other things going on.... And what I hear now isn´t really encouraging either.
              Would have loved to drive my own site with PHP7 but I´ll hold back in this case.

I would really appreciate if you could keep us posted how that ticket works out - think that Eric will be interested in troubleshooting. Interesting thing is that gstarr reported he got Dynamik running on PHP7, on customer´s sites even, so I wonder if that is an onboard-only problem again or something that came with 7.0.1...? Thanks again for the heads up!

Comment

I've tested this on MAMP and XAMPP and have found that in MAMP PHP 7 (Mac) works fine with Dynamik, but I was able to reproduce the activation issue with Dynamik in XAMPP PHP 7 (Windows). The odd thing is that nothing is being written to the XAMPP PHP error log file. I would assume that there's a PHP error going on here, but no error message is showing up. For anyone having this issue could you see if you're able to find PHP errors in your log files? And if so then please post the relevant errors here. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Eric for diving in here. Your assumption that Xampp and PHP could be the issue, induced me to search in this direction.
                  My php error.log was/is empty too.
                  But in the access error.log I found this error notice:

Code:
                  Parent: child process 4060 exited with status 3221225725
                  A research with google, and tada I found two helpful threads:

An explanation, why:
                  http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,87679

and the solution:
                  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ash-on-windows

This fixed it - at least for me:

Find httpd.conf (xampp/apache/conf) or simple click the "Config"-Button in Xampp Control Panel and choose "Apache (httpd.conf)"
                  edit the httpd.conf with a good texteditor like Notepad++ (never use the Windows Notepad for this!)
                  and insert at its end the following code:

PHP Code:
                  <IfModule mpm_winnt_module>
                  ThreadStackSize 8888888
                  </IfModule

Restart Apache and MySQL over the Xampp Control Panel.

Test to activate DWB - for me it works now.
                  I have access to dashboard now too. All fine

Comment

• La Geek
                    La Geek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A short supplement to this:
                    Although WordPress, Genesis and DWB work with these settings in PHP 7.0.1.0 there may be some plugins and other themes that don't. Prominent example is the Toolset (wp-types.com). Also the free plugin Types has problems to run on PHP 7.0.1. The DEVs will fix all these issues, but atm you can't use the toolset.
                    So, before you consider to switch your PHP version to 7.x test it locally

• LinsLleisio
                    LinsLleisio commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know this is over a year later, but I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you. I was wanting to copy my existing live site and database locally - using XAMPP. Everything was good, except when I tried to access wp-admin. Then it times out - The connection was reset. If I renamed the themes > dynamik-gen folder all was OK again. Adding the PHP Code as outlined above allowed me back in the backend and I was able to activate Dynamik without issue.
                    Last edited by LinsLleisio; 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM.

La Geek get's the troubleshooting award for the month of January! Thanks for taking the time to weed out this odd Window's specific Apache issue! My XAMPP installation is now fixed in Windows 7. Yay!!

Comment

• La Geek
                    La Geek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hehe. Glad, I found this and that it fixed it.

• SiGa
                    SiGa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great catch, thank you!

La Geek - Thanks! - that did the trick! DWB 1.9.4 installed and activated on Uniform Server 12.0.1

Comment

• La Geek
                    La Geek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the confirmation

For all with Uniform Server: the httpd.conf is located unter
                    Uniformserver / core / apache2 / conf

• Sniffle Valve
                    Sniffle Valve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I posted this fix on the US forum with a suggestion that 'Ric' could perhaps add this to the next update to US

http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=3155
                Working...
                X